Following the intervention of the Energy and Biomass Project 37 voluntary biomass fuel standards were approved in 2012. In addition, the Solid Biofuel Regulation approved through the Government Decision no.1070 of December 27, 2013 has been in effect since 2015.
It is binding and regulates the quality and labelling requirements and the conditions for placing biomass fuel on the market.
Moldova has two laboratories that certify the quality of solid biofuel on specific parameters.
- Laboratory of Scientific Research and Testing on Reagents and Petroleum Products of the Technical Center for Industrial Security and Certification conducts tests on parameters like the lower calorific value of biofuel, humidity mass fraction, ash content, sulfur mass fraction.
Contacts: 3 Academiei str., Chisinau mun., MD 2028. Tel: 022-73-93-75
- Solid Biofuel Testing Laboratory of the Agrarian University conducts physical testing for parameters like With EU financing provided through the Energy and Biomass Project it was fitted out with modern equipment to test the chemical composition of biofuel. The laboratory was accredited for physical testing and is soon expected to get accreditation for the testing of the chemical composition of biofuel.
Contacts: 56 Mircesti str., Chisinau mun., MD 2049. Tel. 022-43-23-46, 067591778
How to check the quality of pellets at home:
- A good pellet is smooth and hard.
- If a touch makes the pellet crumble, that means that it has a high moisture content and low calorific value.
- One can tell that the quality of a pellet is good if the ash left after it has burned is less than 4%. The ash is a good fertilizer. A bigger amount of ash means that the quality of the pellet is bad.
How to check the quality of briquettes at home:
- A less dense briquette provides less energy: it burns faster and generates less heat.
- One can tell that the quality of a briquette is good if the ash left after it has burned is less than 6%. The more ash is left, the lower the calorific value of the briquette.
- If ashes are removed more often than once every 4 days, the quality of the fuel can be a reason for concern.